Monday, November 7, 2016

How To Make a Bojack Horseman Horse and Princess Carolyn Cat Cosplay Costume



bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume


For Halloween this year I got inspired by the show Bojack Horseman on Netflix. It has human characters and characters that have animal heads. I think they added the animals just so they could make hilarious animal jokes. My favorite is Princess Carolyn, the hard working talent agent with the head of a Persian cat. She is also crazy bright pink. She does things like bat at a toy mouse while she's on the phone, scratch her scratching post, and land on her feet after flying out of a taxi.

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

She often has a stern look on her face while as she constantly has to call out Bojack on his horsesh*t.

When I took a look at Carolyn I realized that this costume would be super simple to do. I just happened to have a bright pink Morphsuit from a previous costume that I now considered to be retired now that I have gotten lots of pics in it:

sailor moon transforming henshin cosplay costume

Remember Transforming Sailor Moon? Those were some crazy times.

I also had leftover fleece fabric from making Sailor Moon's hair for that costume -- JUST enough to cover a mascot head! I grabbed some pieces of AstroFoam and got cranking on her head. I just made a foam cage and did basic draping over it to make it pink, then added details with pipe cleaners and fabric scraps. SO easy and can be done with any type of flexible material, probably even cardboard. I see out of the mouth which is black chiffon type fabric and two little nostril holes I cut under the nose to be as subtle as possible. I made this head to function like a bobblehead, with my neck exposed so I would look more like the character.

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

Foam cage

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

Draping is fun. You make darts by just pulling the fabric tightly over your shape, pinning them, then cutting off the excess fabric. After that you sew the darts and turn it all inside out.

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

Ears and floofy hair. I made a long tongue shaped piece, stuffed it and added wire to curl it up. The ears are fabric over AstroFoam.

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

Getting her expression just right. Had to decide between smiling, stern, sarcastic...so many good ones to choose from!

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

Almost done. I decided at this point to add some puffy cheeks on the sides to get that nice Persian silhouette.

For her necklace, the drawing is very basic and could be deciphered to be either gold or yellow. I went with yellow to make it cartoony. I also made the pendant attach to the "chain" in a more collar-like fashion, using a keyring to join the two through small eyelets. The collar is just a strip of bias tape with snaps in the back to put it on and the pendant is a piece of yellow fun foam with a plastic jewel glued on. This was all stuff I have lying around in my craft room.

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

Funfoam yellow matched the bias tape yellow. Yay!

The rest of the outfit was just thrift store finds. I got very lucky to find red high heels, a teal green dress and a yellow sweater all at the same DI. They all fit! I found a blue sweater for my hubby's Bojack outfit with a diamond pattern on it. He already owned jeans and a gray jacket and of course one of those hilariously wacky horse masks you can get anywhere.

I added some gold spandex fish to my dress last minute just to have that extra detail on the front. I just glued them on quick and dirty. Only a couple people knew what we were at the Halloween parties/trick or treating, but really, things are done for the glory of the internet where everyone who's looking for you can find you ;)

Anyway, I loved representing this silly show with my hubby and I'm so glad this wasn't hard to put together. Halloween shouldn't be stressful! It's just fun all around!

Here are some photos that I had my three year old take. He's not bad to have around ;)


bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume



bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

Toddler took pics with my phone...this was one of the better ones hahaha.

bojack horseman horse princess carolyn cat kitty cosplay costume

Bojack seems a little...hesitant, as usual.

kawaii kowai halloween pumpkin cute face

I'm a kawaii, not kowai, little pumpkin! Hope your Halloween was so fun!!




1 comment: