Monday, December 6, 2010

Kingdom Hearts II Embroidered Munny Bags

I'm a cosplayer as you know by now, and a couple years ago I had the urge to make a special prop for my Sora outfit from Kingdom Hearts II. In the Twilight Town portion of the game, you meet the group of friends that Roxas hangs out with. Olette pulls out a cute bag with an oak leaf symbol that they can use to store the Munny they earn doing various "jobs" around town. It's a simple drawtring-type purse.

I decided to make a bunch of these to sell or give away to friends. I started out with the oak leaf portion. I drew the oak leaf shape onto some "tear away" stabilizer. I then used my sewing machine and carefully sewed the stabilizer onto a piece of red fabric layered on green fabric.

kingdom hearts ii twilight town munny bag olette roxas handmade craft

Next, I hand-sewed tiny gold and blue glass beads onto the stabilizer, again following the lines of the pattern. I added round blue beads as accents on the points of the design. Nothing about the actual picture from the game indicated that it was made this way. I took some artistic license and thought about how a girl like Olette would make it and went from there. Girls like shiny things! After the beads were on I carefully tore the stabilizer away and cut out the excess red fabric. The result can be seen in this next blurry picture:

kingdom hearts ii twilight town munny bag olette roxas handmade craft

Once the embroidered part was done, I sewed the green patch carefully onto a melon rectangle of fabric. I created a diamond shape by first cutting and then folding under the sides, as you would do in an applique. It was the most difficult part as the shiny green fabric did not take kindly to folding under and I made several mistakes. Makes it look all the more handmade I suppose.

kingdom hearts ii twilight town munny bag olette roxas handmade craft

 I sewed the melon rectangular piece onto another while at the same time putting a bit of rope trim in the corners. I made an inner lining with some leftover pink fabric from another project to make the bag less likely to fall apart. I added the drawstring and painted some wooden beads purple with nail polish. I tied the beads onto the rope trim and frayed the ends. Here is the finished product (although colors in the above pictures are far more accurate than the colors below due to a cheap camera):


kingdom hearts ii twilight town munny bag olette roxas handmade craft

I ended up making 12-13 of these little guys! I sold a couple over DeviantArt and gave the rest away to friends who love Kingdom Hearts. It was a really fun project and really brings the prop to life!

2 comments:

  1. You're so crafty I could choke a small rodent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of its even tinier rodent children, Charlie!! :D You're crafty too! I saw that Mr. Game and Watch costume.

    ReplyDelete